Welly – 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2

Scale model of a minibus, the 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2, made by Welly. This example is reference 52336. It is made in China, possibly in 2016. In Portugal, this model is available as part of the series "Carros Miniatura II", promoted by Cofina in 2016–2017. When buying the "Correio da Manhã" ¹ newspaper, the reader has the option of also buying the miniature. Metal body painted in red, roof in red plastic. Black plastic base. Glazing represented in transparent plastic with details molded in the windshield and front door and sliding door windows. Interior details in black plastic, showing four seats (driver and six passengers) and a luggage space. Plastic tires, "silver" plastic rims (4SP). No suspension. The nominal scale seems to be around 1:61 and the overall length is approximately 2.9 in. About 1.6 oz. This model, the 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2, represents a 1972 Volkswagen Typ 2 (T2), possibly equipped with the 1584 cm³ (1.6 L), 37 kW (50 hp) air-cooled "boxer" engine. 

I remember the Volkswagen Typ 2 (T2) so well, always busy and expeditious in the most varied tasks. I remember them as panel vans or pick-up trucks, minibuses or ambulances – later, as camper vans. I remember their characteristic "voices" reverberating along the streets of Lisboa and Porto, going up hills. And it all comes back to life when I pick up this 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2 made by Welly, based in Hong Kong. Unlike the Typ 2 (T1) from the same manufacturer, which disappointed me, this Typ 2 (T2) surprised me positively – it's a tiny time machine that rests in my hand. The proportions seem correct, the casting is well finished and the paintwork is of good quality, as are the delicate printed details, with the "VOLSKWAGEN" lettering on the back perfectly legible. The interior shows the meticulously reproduced upholstery and dashboard. The wheels are well adjusted to the character of the vehicle, simple and functional, and the base comes fairly detailed. And neither the slightly off-center Volkswagen emblem nor the loose front bumper on the packaging disturbs my enchantment. Would it be possible to ask for more on this scale? Of course yes. But don't change anything – it's fine as it is. This minibus, the 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2, is in my collection under the themes "German Vehicles" and "Vans & Pickup Trucks".

Modelo à escala de um miniautocarro, o 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2, feito pela Welly. Este exemplar é a referência 52336. É feito na China, possivelmente em 2016. Em Portugal, este modelo encontra-se disponível como parte da série "Carros Miniatura II", promovida pela Cofina em 2016–2017. Na compra do jornal "Correio da Manhã" ¹, o leitor tem a opção de comprar também a miniatura. Carroçaria em metal pintada em vermelho, tejadilho em plástico vermelho. Base em plástico preto. Vidros representados em plástico transparente com detalhes moldados no pára-brisas e nas janelas das portas dianteiras e da porta de correr. Detalhes interiores em plástico preto, mostrando quatro assentos (condutor e seis passageiros) e um espaço para bagagem. Pneus em plástico, jantes em plástico "prateadas". Sem suspensão. A escala nominal parece ser à volta de 1:61 e o comprimento total é de aproximadamente 74 mm. Cerca de 44 g. Este modelo, o 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2, representa um Volkswagen Typ 2 (T2) de 1972, possivelmente equipado com o motor "boxer" refrigerado a ar, com 1584 cm³ (1.6 L) e 37 kW (50 hp). 

Lembro-me tão bem dos Volkswagen Typ 2 (T2), sempre atarefados e expeditos nas mais variadas tarefas. Lembro-me deles como furgões ou camionetas, miniautocarros ou ambulâncias – mais tarde, como auto-caravanas. Lembro-me das suas "vozes" características a reverberar pelas ruas de Lisboa e do Porto, a subir ladeiras. E tudo isto se reaviva ao pegar neste 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2 feito pela Welly, baseada em Hong Kong. Ao contrário do Typ 2 (T1) do mesmo fabricante, que me desapontou, este Typ 2 (T2) surpreendeu-me pela positiva – é uma pequenina máquina do tempo que repousa sobre a minha mão. As proporções parecem-me correctas, o molde está bem acabado e a pintura é de boa qualidade, assim como os delicados detalhes impressos, com a inscrição "VOLSKWAGEN" na retaguarda perfeitamente legível. O interior mostra-nos os estofos e o "tablier" meticulosamente reproduzidos. As rodas ajustam-se bem ao carácter do veículo, simples e funcional, e a base vem bem detalhada. E nem o emblema da Volkswagen ligeiramente descentrado ou o pára-choques dianteiro solto na embalagem me perturbam o encantamento. Seria possível pedir mais nesta escala? Claro que sim. Mas, não mexam mais – está bem assim. Este miniautocarro, o 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2, encontra-se na minha colecção sob os temas "Veículos Alemães" e "Carrinhas & Camionetas".

¹  Não me recordo se a iniciativa "Carros Miniatura II" decorria em simultâneo nos jornais "Correio da Manhã" e "Record". ● I don't remember if the "Carros Miniatura" initiative took place simultaneously in the newspapers "Correio da Manhã II" and "Record".

Welly/Cofina "Carros Miniatura II" series

The Welly/Cofina "Carros Miniatura II" series, released between December 17, 2016 and April 29, 2017, comprises 20 references, including the 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2. ● A série Welly/Cofina "Carros Miniatura II", lançada entre 17 de Dezembro de 2016 e 29 de Abril de 2017 compreende 20 referências, incluindo o 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2.

1972 Volkswagen T2 Bus 52336 00/20 2016–2017

LIMITED EDITION ¹

¹  Even though the series "Carros Miniatura II" may be considered a "LIMITED EDITION", only available in 2016–2017, many of its models, including the 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2, do reappear, unchanged, in other Welly/Cofina series. As far as I know, once out of the package it is impossible to find out which Welly/Cofina series the model belongs to. ● Embora a série "Carros Miniatura II" possa ser considerada uma "LIMITED EDITION", disponível apenas em 2016–2017, muitos dos seus modelos, incluindo o 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2, reaparecem, inalterados, em outras séries Welly/Cofina. Tanto quanto sei, uma vez fora da embalagem é impossível saber a que série Welly/Cofina pertence o modelo.

Versions and color variants

As far as I know, this 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2 is available in red, cream or yellow. There is a "pull-back" version. Corrections or additions to the previously described are welcome. ● Tanto quanto sei, este 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2 está disponível apenas em vermelho, creme e amarelo. Existe uma versão com "mecanismo de mola". Correcções ou adições ao previamente descrito são bem-vindas.

52336 Red, black interiors.

How much?

Several readers have asked me to include the market value of the items described. In fact, and as most collectors will agree – an item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. However, most collectors will also agree on average values, based on objective notions of historical relevance, scarcity and conservation. Therefore, and as I know that the questions will not stop, I will include – not necessarily the market value – but rather, and based on my perception of the markets over the last thirty years, the value that, hypothetically and at the moment of publication, I am willing to pay for the item described. In this case, I will pay up to €3 for a 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2 by Welly, loose and in good condition, or up to €5 if boxed and in perfect condition. ●

Vários leitores têm-me pedido para incluir a cotação dos itens descritos. De facto, e como a maioria dos coleccionadores concordará – um item vale o que alguém está disposto a pagar por ele. No entanto, a maioria dos coleccionadores também concordará com valores médios, baseados em noções objectivas de relevância histórica, de escassez e de conservação. Assim sendo, e como sei que os pedidos não vão parar, passo a incluir – não forçosamente a cotação – mas sim, e baseado na minha percepção dos mercados ao longo dos últimos trinta anos, o valor que, hipoteticamente e no momento da publicação, estou disposto a pagar pelo item descrito. Neste caso, pagarei até 3 € por um 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2 da Welly, avulso e em bom estado, ou até 5 € se estiver na caixa em perfeito estado. ●

● References

Wikipedia | "Volkswagen Type 2

1 mm → 0.039 in 
1 g → 0.035 oz 
1 kg → 2.205 lb avdp  
1 kW → 1,360 hp (metric)
1 kW → 1,341 hp
1 hp (metric) → 0,986 hp
1 km → 0,621 mile (international)
1 l → 0.264 US gallon  

● How does a "real" 1972 Volkswagen Bus T2 (T2) looks like? Sadly, I didn't find any interesting video on this version. But check it here, a most unexpected conversion – a 1971 Typ 2 (T2) with a Buick V8 engine (!), on this video retrieved from Jay Leno’s Garage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajá – Colecção Espacial

Thank You

Thank You 2023