The First Step


When, after decades of collecting toys and models and memorabilia, we decide to share some of the objects online, we all face the same dilemma – where do we start this journey? With some rare and valuable toys? With unique and priceless models that we proudly made from scratch? Or with surprisingly realistic scenes in our layouts?

In my childhood, I have the privilege of playing with model trains and slot cars and exquisite tinplate toys. But, in fact, I only play with them at the weekend and under my dad's supervision. My everyday toys are mainly small metal cars and plastic figurines. Why not start this journey there?

In my childhood, most of my small metal cars are from Matchbox, Corgi, or Majorette, in scales around 1:64. Brought in from abroad, some Norev, Schuco, Siku, or Hot Wheels. Later, some Efsi, Mira, Guisval, Yatming, or Zylmex arrive at my garage. My first purchase is a charming Tomica in the seventies – which I keep to this day.

At that time, I don't like models in larger scales, such as 1:43 or 1:36. Still, I have some from Märklin, Tekno, Dinky Toys, Corgi Toys, Matchbox, Solido, or Eligor. Portuguese-made MetOsul and Luso Toys are also present, as well as, in even larger scales, a variety of colorful models from Pê-Pê, some with friction motors.

Most of the plastic figurines are either cowboys and indians or medieval knights and soldiers made by Timpo and Britains in scales around 1:32. These plastic figurines do not go well with the small metal cars and are kept in a context of their own, normally involving the taking of a fort or a castle. My forts and castles are made at home from cardboard and wood.

Other plastic figurines are gifts from various products, such as ice cream, breakfast cereals, or detergents and come in collections with themes as diverse as TV series, hippy culture, wildlife, or space exploration. In a collection of astronauts and aliens we can obtain the space station, a curious donut-shaped plastic artifact, to accommodate the figurines.

At some point, I discover another type of plastic figurines, soldiers from Matchbox and Airfix at a scale of 1:76, and in less than two weeks, two friends and I mobilize large detachments of military forces, including numerous properly painted and detailed land and air vehicles – love those helicopters. Shortly after, the war begins in a garden close to home.

Things start to go wrong when a gardener complains about our intricate trench work – something to do with roots and water and dying plants – and then definitely goes wrong when I adopt live ammunition based on carnival explosive devices. Mothers rush to the scene, fingers are pointed, and the war ends right there. Everyone home!

So, let’s start this journey with some small metal cars and plastic figurines. Some of these toys and models were made a long time ago, others not at all. A couple of pictures and a brief description, a comment. I will be happy if here and there it makes you smile.

It’s a long journey, anyway.


Versão portuguesa, aqui

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajá – Colecção Espacial

Efsi – T-Ford 1919 Panel Van

Thank You 2023